Forum Thread: Got News? Book news, that is.

Got News? Book news, that is.

Amazon has deleted some books from Kindles due to content. These were books that people had already purchased. The books were self-published fictional erotica titles that included incest. More here

10 Responses

Amazon removing books is one thing, but deleting them from user who purchased them? That's crossing the line. Even if it is about incest.

I just looked at the story again. There's an update at the bottom that says Amazon is now saying it was a problem with three books and it's now fixed. Hmmm... power of the press? We'll never know.

It's not the first time Amazon's gotten bad press for such actions...and it's also part of why it took me so long to actually commit to buying a Kindle.

There was also, prior to this incident:

• AmazonFail, in which the sales rankings of books with questionable/adult content were delisted. "Adult" in this case meant gay and lesbian-themed literature, which meant removing stuff like Brokeback Mountain. At the time, they also claimed it was a glitch when the issue was finally resolved.
  • A few months later, they removed certain editions of George Orwell's Animal Farm from people's Kindles, even though customers had paid for them already.

Even though I have a Kindle, I've been looking for alternatives to actually purchasing directly from Amazon.com unless it's the only option (or free). I hate the idea of any ebooks I pay for with money being "loans" instead of actual purchases. This is a risk you run with any eReader with associated bookstores, though.

Okay, not exactly new News but it's news to me... RIM's PlayBook will be shipping with the Kobo e-book reader. The PlayBook's a little special for me because I used to work for QNX, the makers of the operating system that runs the PlayBook.

O'Reilly, those famous publishers of all your favorite coding/programming manuals, is going to print-on-demand from now on. I wonder how it'll work out for them.

I don't get. What does his change from the consumer's perspective?

By the way, I think O'Reilly books rock. The one's I've read were all well written and thorough.

Hi Steven,

I don't think it changes much - maybe it'll save a few more trees, though. Currently publishers just send a ton of books to bookstores, bookstores try to sell them, and any left over after a certain point in time are returned to the publisher and pulped. I think that's how it works.

Agreed on the O'Reilly books. I don't use them often, but they're really useful when I need them.

"maybe it'll save a few more trees, though. Currently publishers just send a ton of books to bookstores, bookstores try to sell them, and any left over after a certain point in time are returned to the publisher and pulped."

Sounds like a great reason for print on demand to me. Thanks.

On Amazon, ebooks are now outselling print books! Cue speculation about the death of print books. 

I don't think that print books are ever going to go out of style - some people just like holding them in their hands too much. I do have to admit though, that having books in ebook format makes it a lot easier for me to finish books. With paperback or hardbacks, it's too easy for me to distract myself by flipping around.

With paper books there's also the pleasure of browsing through the stores and libraries, surrounded by all those books, all that knowledge and ideas. I hope that never goes away.

The biggest store for the biggest Ottawa secondhand books chain just closed their doors. Secondhand ebooks store? I can't think how that would happen given current models. Maybe something will arise if ebook prices go up.

Share Your Thoughts