Forum Thread: Finding free ebooks!

One of the perks of having a dedicated eReader is the sheer number of free ebooks available. You don't have to be stuck with the classics - many modern authors make some or all of their books available for free as promotional tools for their print books. 

Here are a few I found recently:

Machine of Death - a short story anthology inspired by a specific Dinosaur Comic. The premise is that someone's invented a machine that predicts how you're going to die, accurately, and it's about the consequences of that machine. 

The Morrow Project - 4 short stories, sponsored by Intel. Did you know that there's a job called "Futurist"? Anyway, as you can imagine, these short stories are sci-fi and how the future will affect us.

In Praise of Copying, by Marcus Boon - This book explores what copying/copyright means in our modern society. It's a non-fiction, intellectual exercise exploring art, commerce, creativity, etc. Very thought-provoking.

Little Brother, by Cory Doctorow - Young adult fiction. It's very contemporary, and about a 15-year-old caught in the wrong place when a terrorist attack breaks out. 

Cory Doctorow's Internet-famous for being very vocal about giving away his content, so there are other books available on his site for free, too: Content, Eastern Standard Tribe, etc. 

Transcendence, by Christopher McKitterick - science fiction, I think, but I don't know too much about it.

16 Responses

These are not only free but look like good finds! Lots of idea fiction - my favorite kind.

Thanks for pointing out Ted Chiang's short stories. I just enjoyed readed Tower of Babylon. Reminded me of older style sci-fi classics. I'm definately going to make an effort to read the rest too.

Project Gutenberg is also an amazing resource. They've been around for at least a decade, and I bet the recent explosion in Kindles, Nooks and other eReaders has been a boon for them. They were originally interested in making electronic copies of works in the public domain, but now offer those same books in eReader format.

Their catalog is literally thousands of titles long, and in over fifty languages. I absolutely adore this site.

Thanks Rachel! There's been a link buried at the bottom of the Corkboard for a while now but I just added it to the Useful Links on the right too.

A friend pointed me to library.nu, which apparently hosts a bunch of pirated e-books. I'm not sure how I feel about that yet...but apparently she's got Harry Potter 1-7.

Wow! Some really good looking titles here.

Oh thanks toastykitten for sharing these to us. You have a good heart.

I hope his one will help too.

http://www.simplybestcoupons.com/Coupons/eBooks.com/

God bless!

Thanks Charlotte! Added to Useful Links.

I found a site where I downloaded a catalog of 600 Ebook classics for the Kindle.

I loaded the catalog onto my Kindle, and can now read it as any other Ebook.

I can find the title, read the synopsis and then download the Ebook if I want to. It's great as I don't have to be connected to wi-fi unless I decide to download the book.

The site is http://booksite.org.uk/kindle_catalogue.html

All the books in the catalog can be downloaded freely from other pages on this web site, but I find the catalogue useful as I don't have to be seated at my computer to download them.

I have just noticed they have put up a free sample of the catalog to try it out

Share Your Thoughts